Melissa Coriaty is the owner of Verbena, a casual counter service café serving weekday lunch and Saturday brunch and catering. Her team creates food from scratch using local and sustainable ingredients in a warm and relaxed environment. Verbena is a community meeting place where everyone is welcome.

The Business Challenge

How to use social media, like Instagram, to convey what Verbena stands for to a wider audience.

The Project Outcomes

A team of seven digital marketing students at Northeastern’s College of Professional Studies worked with Melissa over a 12-week period to develop a digital marketing strategy. The student team developed a content calendar based on themes for each day of the week, such as Vegan Wednesday, to make it easier to plan and create content as needed. The team also created over 30 design templates for themed days, such as National Strawberry Day, including ‘evergreen’ posts that could be used throughout the year.

The Business Owner’s Takeaway

Melissa Coriaty

Owner of Verbena restaurant in South Portland, Maine

“I really enjoyed working with the student team. The standouts for me were the tools to increase traffic to our online ordering platform like the QR codes. I also really liked the special “day” highlights and the focus brought to our farm fresh ingredients and vegan preparations.”

“As a real-world client, I appreciated when it was evident that my business had been researched and things like operating hours/days and Verbena’s voice were worked into the recommendations and design work.”

Melissa Coriaty